Secondhand Building Fixtures

Code of Virginia § 59.1-117 requires a permit to be obtained and held by any person selling or acquiring any secondhand building fixtures.

What are Secondhand Building Fixtures?
The Code of Virginia defines secondhand building fixtures as follows: secondhand heating or plumbing fixtures or supplies, electric fixtures or any wiring, gas fixtures or appliances, water faucets, pipes, locks, bathtubs, gutters, downspouts, or other secondhand fixtures of whatever kind or description pertaining to a building or structure.

If the material is a metallic fixture or object that is physically attached to a building or structure and not simply plugged into an electrical outlet, it is considered a secondhand building fixture.
Scrap for webpage1.jpg
What are not considered Secondhand Building Fixtures?
metal cans; vehicle parts; electric appliances like refrigerators, stoves, and washing machines; window air conditioning units; metal furniture; batteries; tools; lawn mowers

Who Needs a Permit?
Permit Required for:
Non-exempt persons, businesses or entities who sell, buy or obtain (even if free, "picked", or found) secondhand building fixtures. See the list below for exemptions.

Exemptions - Permit Not Required for:
1. The sale of secondhand material mentioned in § 59.1-117 taken from premises occupied by the owner, when sold by such owner on the premises, or the sale of such articles when purchased from a public utility corporation at its place of business or a governmental agency;
2. Scrap metal processor (see definition below) as provided in Article 4 (§ 59.1-136.1 et seq.);
3. Authorized scrap sellers (see definition below);
4. Public utilities;
5. Public transportation companies;
6. Peddlers (referred to in the Code as "Dealers" or "Junk Dealers") permitted under § 59.1-118;
7. Industrial and manufacturing companies;
8. Marine, automobile, and aircraft salvage and wrecking companies; or
9. Governmental entities.
Reference Virginia Code 59.1-123

Junk Dealer
- a person who regularly engages in the business of purchasing, acquiring, or canvassing secondhand building material, including all nonferrous scrap metal, proprietary articles, or both, for the purpose of resale and has conducted transactions involving, or has offered for sale, more than 600 pounds combined weight of secondhand building material or enters into more than 26 combined transactions annually. § 59.1-116.1

To become a junk dealer you must apply for an annual permit at the Danville Police Department Records Division. Even thought junk dealers are exempted from obtaining a permit for the individual sale or acquisition of secondhand building fixtures/materials, they are still required by law to keep a detailed record of their transactions and make a report to the Danville Police Department on the next business day following the transaction. The application for a junk dealer permit and reporting forms are available at the Danville Police Department.

Click Here for Junk Dealer Annual Permit Application Form

Authorized Scrap Seller - any licensed plumber, electrical contractor, HVAC contractor, or building and construction contractor. § 59.1-116.1

Scrap Metal Processor - means any person who is engaged in the business of processing motor vehicles into scrap for remelting purposes who, from a fixed location, utilizes machinery and equipment for processing and manufacturing ferrous and nonferrous metallic scrap into prepared grades, and whose principal product is metallic scrap.§ 46.2-1200

By providing an inside look at the changes in the Code of Virginia, the Danville Police Department in partnership with the Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office aims to educate and inform the citizens we serve. The permit process is easy to follow and quick to process.

Follow this link to submit and obtain a Secondhand Building Fixtures Permit