Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
As part of our commitment to providing the best possible spatial maps, apps, and information, the GIS Department is proud to present our NEW GIS HOMEPAGE! All of our mapping applications are available here in a brand new tile-based format. As part of this new rollout, we will be phasing out the existing 'Maps' page, as well as the map links below over the next couple weeks. We hope you will enjoy the City’s latest interactive mapping experience!
The GIS Division of the Department of Information Technology oversees the use and development of location-based information for the City of Danville. This includes software support and data maintenance for the many departments utilizing GIS.
Public Access GIS
The City offers several GIS-based public access websites:
- Danville Polling Locations - Explore the Polling Place application to view all the voting precincts as well as the location of the polling locations for the City of Danville.
- Play Danville Park Finder App - Find all of Danville’s parks, playgrounds, baseball/soccer fields, disc golf courses, trails, and more! Use the measure tool to plan a nice 2-mile walk along the trails, use the drawing tools to show your friends where to meet up! Bookmark your favorite places, and use the Base Map Gallery to view the map in new and different ways……..go out and play, Danville!
- Danville Scheduled Road Closure Map -
Identifyscheduled road closures by the City of Danville using this interactive map. Search by address to discover scheduled projects in your area.
- Discover Danville Sites - Investigate Danville's available development properties and buildings, run a business
search,and analyze market demographics.
- Danville Parcel Viewer - Search our property database for parcel assessment information and transfer history. View multiple years of aerial photography.
- Danville myCommunity Map - Easily find restaurants, shopping, parks, schools, services, and amenities. Try the "I Want To" feature to learn about Danville.
- Danville Community Crime Map - Stay informed of area crime activity by viewing nearby crimes on a map, in a grid, or in analytics graphs using the LexisNexis Community Crime Map. In addition, citizens can sign up for crime alerts. View a full tutorial here: https://youtu.be/pIXghRj7V58
- Danville Waste Removal - See which day of the week trash and yard waste are collected in any designated pick-up zone in Danville. Search any city address to quickly identify its location and its corresponding zones.
- Danville River District - See what's been happening in the Danville River District! You can see the trends in permitting, compare property valuations over time, and explore the busiest portions of the River District by using the permit or total value heat maps.
Danville Story Maps
- The River District Story Map - Danville is beautifying its riverfront area...come visit the Danville River District!
- Riverwalk Story Map - Nine miles of paved trail along the beautiful Dan River connects the historic River District, Anglers Park, Dan Daniel Park, and local businesses while traversing through many wonderfully scenic areas.
- Danville Art Trail - The Danville Art Trail (DAT) is an 18-month exhibit of outdoor sculptures in public places, combined with murals, Victorian architecture, and points of interest.
- Historic Marker Tour - A tour of the Historic Markers in Danville, Va.
All requests for printed or digital GIS information require submission of a form and City approval. Completed forms should be emailed to GIS Support or faxed to the attention of the GIS Coordinator at 434-799-5205. Fees are charged at the City's discretion per the fee schedule. Return all applicable forms, as follows:
Custom maps are available in printed or PDF form. There may be a charge for printed material, especially of large size or quantity.
- GIS Map Request Form (fill out and return)
Digital GIS data is available for free to consultants under contract with the City of Danville and select public entities. Other businesses, organizations, and individuals will be charged according to our fee schedule. All requestors must submit both of the following documents for approval by the City's IT Director.
- GIS Data Request Form (fill out and return)
- GIS Letter of Agreement (change all occurrences of "Requestor" and "Company Name", sign, and return)
More About GIS
For more information about what GIS is and how it is used, visit any of the following sites:
- What is GIS? - "GIS allows us to view, understand, question, interpret, and visualize data in many ways that reveal relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports, and charts." Read more about the technology and uses of GIS ...
- International GIS Day - "GIS Day is held each year in the third week of November, on the Wednesday during Geography Awareness Week, a geographic literacy initiative sponsored by the National Geographic Society". Each year in partnership with the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research, the City of Danville participates in International GIS Day.