Can I burn in the City, and do I need a permit?

Yes, the City of Danville burning regulations allow the burning of leaves, branches, yard and garden trimmings without a permit. However, the burning must take place on private property and must not be less than 300 feet from any occupied building unless the occupants have given written permission. The fire must be attended at all times and there must be immediate access to some form of fire extinguishments/control. A minimum distance of 50 feet from any structure is to be maintained at all times. Between the period of February 15th and April 30th the City of Danville Open Burning Regulations prohibit burning before 4 pm if the fire is in or within 300 feet of woodland, brushland or fields containing dry grass or other flammable material. Burning for the disposal of land clearing material requires a permit that can be obtained from the Fire Marshal's office by calling (434) 799-5226, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. Note: The individual or business that is burning is responsible for any damage and/or cleanup that may result from the fire. Complaints of smoke or ash may result in immediate extinguishment of the fire.  Please use our online Permit Portal to apply for a permit.

Show All Answers

1. Can I burn in the City, and do I need a permit?
2. How can I obtain a fire report?
3. Does the Fire Department install smoke alarms?