An advisory committee has been formed to receive and distill feedback from the community on how to invest possible new revenues in ways that will have the greatest long-term impact on all parts of our community. This committee was not formed to advocate for or against the referendum.
The members are:
|Paul Liepe||Joy Wood|
|Porchia Russell||Crystal Cobbs|
|Matt Switick||Sheila Williamson-Branch|
|Kenny Lewis||Frank Wickers|
|Ann Stratton||Kristin Barker|
The members were chosen based on their backgrounds in many areas, including education, early childhood development, housing, tourism (including sports tourism), economic development, public safety, historic preservation, at-risk populations, poverty, and financial stability.
Virtual Town Hall Meetings - Results
- Caesars unveils final rendering for Danville casino (9/16/2021)
- River City TV - Danville Casino rendering interview (9/16/2021)
- Caesars Public Input Meeting on Design - Facebook Livestream (8/23/2021)
- Caesars Virginia schedules employment webinar (10/2/2020)
- City to host meetings on use of casino revenue (9/28/2020)
- Investing in Danville - Interim Report (9-28-2020) (PDF)
- Casino Resort Development Agreement (9-3-2020) (PDF)
- Signing ceremony remarks from City Manager Ken Larking (9-3-2020) (PDF)
- News Release - Casino signing ceremony (9-3-2020) (PDF)
- Casino negotiations nearing completion (8-18-2020)
- Court issues order for Nov. 3 casino referendum (8-7-2020)
- City Council takes next step for casino gaming (6/3/2020) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
On February 23, 2019, the Virginia General Assembly approved legislation (SB 1126) which "authorizes casino gaming in the Commonwealth to be regulated by the Virginia Lottery Board” and states that “casino gaming shall be limited to certain cities that meet the criteria that is outlined in the bill, and a referendum must be passed in the city on the question of allowing casino gaming in the city.” Danville meets the criteria outlined in the legislation and is one of the potential locations for casino gaming in Virginia. Governor Ralph Northam signed the bill into law on March 22, 2019.
The law also directs the Joint Legislative and Review Commission (JLARC) to conduct a comprehensive study of casino gaming regulations for review by December 1. The JLARC presentation can be found on their website under the November 25, 2019 Meeting listing.
In Spring 2020, the Virginia General Assembly approved legislation (HB 4, SB 36) which "authorizes casino gaming in the Commonwealth to be regulated by the Virginia Lottery Board." It specifies the requirements for licensure of casino gaming operators and the conduct of casino gaming and imposes criminal and civil penalties for violations of the casino gaming law. The location of casino gaming establishments shall be limited to eligible host cities that meet specified criteria: the Cities of Portsmouth, Richmond, Norfolk, Danville, and Bristol pursuant to a voter referendum.
Request for Proposals
Pursuant to SB1126 as passed by the Virginia General Assembly and signed into law by Governor Ralph Northam, the City of Danville could become the host to a casino gaming facility should its citizens approve a referendum, expected to be held in November 2020.
The City of Danville, Virginia sought proposals from enterprises with whom the City can negotiate potential agreements for the development and operations of a destination casino. In June 2020, the City of Danville officially selected Caesars Entertainment as their preferred provider.
SPecial Work Session Information - November 19, 2019
The City of Danville contracted the Convergence Strategy Group to conduct a series of analyses of the potential for casino gaming at four locations in the city. The study will be presented during a Special Work Session of City Council on November 19.
Studies Commissioned By the Commonwealth and by the Danville Regional Foundation
Danville Regional Foundation Casino Impact Study - December 5, 2019