August 4, Meeting
Note: Due to the evolving nature of circumstances related to COVID-19, described activities and situations are subject to change at any time. Check back often for updates.
Meetings of the Council are formal proceedings. The Clerk of the Council records all comments. An agenda is provided for the convenience of the public and the Council.
Meetings are televised live on River City TV and streaming on the River City Facebook Page. Meetings are also re-broadcast on alternating Tuesdays. The Council meets the first and third Tuesday of each month at 7 pm. Council Work Sessions are held as needed following the regular business meeting.
Due to ongoing public health concerns related to COVID-19, the City of Danville is modifying the structure of City Council meetings. While the Municipal Building and Council Chambers are open to the public, attendees may have their temperature screened and asked to maintain social distancing. Please use the entrance on the First Floor (Court Street Side) to access the building.
The following item is slated for public hearing on Tuesday, August 4:
- Consideration of Vacating an Unused City Owned Easement in Pittsylvania County. | Council Letter 2345
Supporting information for each public hearing item can be found in the August 4, 2020 Regular Meeting Agenda
Though the municipal building will be open, we understand that some residents may still be social distancing. Until further notice, accommodations have been made to still allow public comment by encouraging citizens to provide comments reserved for "Communications from Visitors" and "Public Hearings" on the published agenda ahead of time. There will be two options for submission: online through a form or by phone recording.
Public Comments Online
Comments submitted via the online form will be collected and distributed to all City Council members and published with the minutes of the August 4 meeting. In accordance with the Danville City Council Rules of Procedure, comments are limited to 750 words, which is the equivalent of 5 (five) minutes for Communications from Visitors, and 400 words, which is the equivalent of 3 (three) minutes speaking, for public hearings.
Comments are now closed.
Public Comments by Phone
Comments may also be submitted by voicemail to 434-857-3348. Similar to traditional, in-person public comments, you will be asked to provide your name and address for the record and your comments will be played during the City Council meeting. We also ask for your telephone number should there by any need for follow-up, but this will not be published in the official minutes nor played on air. Keeping with the Danville City Council Rules of Procedure, comments are limited to 5 (five) minutes for Communications from Visitors and 3 (three) minutes for public hearings.
Comments are now closed.
Guidelines for Citizen Participation
At any regular meeting of the Council, visitors who desire to speak upon matters other than those on the agenda for such meeting may do so only at the time for communications from visitors. Matters brought to the attention of the Council at that time, which require action by the Council, shall be referred to the City Manager for a report at a subsequent meeting of the Council. Persons who desire to speak upon a matter of business which is on the agenda of the meeting may do so only at the time the matter is considered by the Council.
The following rules apply to "Communications from Visitors":
- Communications from Visitors shall be for the purpose of allowing members of the public to present any matter, which, in their opinion, deserves the attention of the Council. They shall not serve as a forum for debate with the Council.
- Remarks shall be addressed directly to the Council and not to staff, the audience, or the media.
- Each speaker shall clearly state his or her name and address. If the speaker is uncomfortable stating his or her address in public, he or she may provide that information privately to the Clerk of Council after speaking.
- There shall be a time limit for each individual speaker of five (5) uninterrupted minutes.
- A representative of a group may have up to ten (10) uninterrupted minutes to make a presentation. The representative shall identify the group at the beginning of his or her presentation. A group may have no more than one spokesperson.
- Speakers are not permitted to donate time to other speakers.
- There shall be no comment during Communications from Visitors on a matter for which a public hearing is scheduled during the same meeting.
- Any issue raised by the public which the Council wishes to consider may be put on the agenda for a future Council meeting or work session by a majority consensus of the Council.
- The above rules notwithstanding, members of the public may present written comments to the Council at any meeting. Such written comments shall be submitted through the Clerk of Council.
If you have a written statement or a petition, please file it with the Clerk of the Council. If supportive material is to be distributed among Council Members and staff, please provide fourteen (14) copies.
Additionally, persons appearing before Council will not be allowed to:
- Campaign for public office;
- Use profanity or vulgar language or gestures;
- Use language which insults or demeans any person or which, when directed at a public official or employee is not related to his or her official duties, however, citizens have the right to comment on the performance, conduct, and qualifications of public figures;
- Make non-germane or frivolous statements;
- Interrupt other speakers or engage in behavior that disrupts the meeting including but not limited to applause, cheers, jeers, etc.;
- Engage in behavior that intimidates others; or
- Address the Council on issues that do not concern the services, policies or affairs of the city.
These guidelines are found in the Danville City Council Rules of Procedure (PDF), adopted on February 16, 2016.