Fare & General Service Information
Service Hours & Holiday Schedule
The Danville Transit System provides a variety of services to complement the demand for public transportation service in Danville. Service hours are from 4 am until 12:30 am, Monday through Saturday. Beginning January 2, 2024, the Reserve A Ride service will operate from 4 am to 9 pm, Monday through Saturday (last boarding time will be at 9:00 pm). The transit system encourages passengers to sign up to receive text alerts that will inform persons of service updates. Text alerts can be received by texting 24541 to dtupdate.
No service is provided on the following holidays: New Years Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Easter Monday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
The one-way trip base fare for fixed route bus service is $1. One child 12 years old and younger traveling with a paying adult may ride free. Riders may bring a small, personal-use-size stroller or small cart, which must be securely held. The cart or stroller must have wheels or brakes that can be locked.
Discount Bus Tokens
Bus tokens are sold in rolls that save passengers 10%. A roll of 10 tokens cost $4.50 and a roll of 20 tokens cost $9.00. Bus tokens are worth fifty cents towards the purchase of a one-way trip but when tokens are purchased in a roll, each token costs passengers forty-five-cents each.
Fixed-Route Half Fare Discount
A half fare discount is available from 6 a.m. until noon for seniors (60 years or older), disabled individuals and Medicare cardholders. To receive a discount eligible passengers should present a Medicare card, photo ID, or a certification sticker. To obtain information about the certification process for the half fare fixed route discount, please call the administrative office at 434-799-5144 or 434-773-8132.
Disabled passengers who are functionally unable to use the fixed route operation may complete certification forms to use the Handivan service. Persons with disabilities and health care professionals must complete these forms. The Handivan service is a door-to-door operation. Drivers do not transport passengers through the door.
The one-way Handivan fare is $2 per trip from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Please contact the administrative office at 434-799-5144 or 434-773-8132 for more information. One child 12 years old and younger traveling with a paying adult may ride free.
Reserve A Ride Service
Other service options available to the general public include the Reserve A Ride operation, which transports passengers door to door and operates from 4 a.m. until 12:30 a.m., Monday through Saturday. Beginning January 2, 2024, the Reserve A Ride service will operate from 4 am to 9 pm, Monday through Saturday (last boarding time will be at 9:00 pm). The transit system encourages passengers to sign up to receive text alerts that will inform persons of service updates. Text alerts can be received by texting 24541 to dtupdate.
The one-way fare is $4 for all ambulatory trips within the city limits of Danville, Virginia and the Cane Creek Centre Industrial Park.
Disabled passengers are also charged $4 per trip from 4 a.m. until 6 a.m. and from 6 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. Two children 12 years old and younger traveling with a paying adult may ride free.
Reserve A Ride Student Discount Fare
- Effective December 1, 2015, active students are eligible to pay $2 per one way trip when using the Reserve A Ride Service.
- To receive the Reserve A Ride Student discount fare, students must first obtain a Reserve A Ride Student Discount Card at the Transfer Center (Hub) and provide additional documentation, which confirms current enrollment (please see Required Documentation). The Transfer Center is located at 515 Spring Street, Danville, Virginia 24541.
- After receiving a Reserve A Ride Student Discount Card, please show your student picture identification card and your Danville Transit Student Discount card to the driver when boarding. Please note, the Reserve A Ride Student Discount card will need to be reissued for each semester or term using the same process listed above to show the student is currently enrolled.
The following is required to obtain the Student Discount Card at Danville Transit's Transfer Center (Hub):
- Provide a current student picture identification card from your school or college
- Provide proof of enrollment for the current semester or term (i.e. class schedule)
- Complete a one page application at the Transfer Center (Hub). The application requires
the student to identify their name, address, school and the enrollment period.